The 2025 construction season has begun, and bridge projects across the country are moving forward. Today, bridge projects in Rhode Island, New York and Ohio take center stage.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean P. Duffy has confirmed the execution of a $221 million federal grant dedicated to Rhode Island’s Washington Bridge project.
“This is good news for everyone, including the contractors bidding on the project, knowing there will be no delays,” said Rhode Island Gov. Dan McKee at a press conference last week. “The timing is right.”
The Trump Administration inherited over 3,200 unobligated grants from its predecessor, which had been promised but never implemented. These unfulfilled commitments resulted in delayed infrastructure investments nationwide. While funding for the Washington Bridge was initially proposed in the fall of 2024, the previous administration did not finalize the agreement.
Under Secretary Duffy, the Department of Transportation aims to accelerate the allocation of these long-overdue resources to improve critical infrastructure.
The westbound section of Washington Bridge on Interstate-195 has been closed since December 2023 because of significant structural failures discovered during reconstruction.
Issues such as severed tie rods, deteriorating post-tensioned concrete girders and poor concrete quality led officials to determine that a full replacement was necessary.
Washington Bridge serves as a vital transportation link. It spans the Seekonk River and connects Providence with East Providence.
Built in 1969, the westbound bridge carried five lanes of traffic and linked key highways. This connection plays a crucial role in regional travel between Rhode Island, southeastern Massachusetts and Cape Cod.
“He clearly understands the economy is attached to these infrastructure improvements,” McKee said of Duffy.
A $61 million project to replace two aging bridges on Interstate 490 in Perinton, N.Y. begins today.
According to officials from the New York State Department of Transportation, westbound traffic on I-490 will be reduced to a single lane as crews work to replace the bridges spanning Kreag Road and the Erie Canal. Additionally, Exit 27 at Bushnell’s Basin was closed on Monday, and eastbound traffic will be limited to one lane starting April 7.
“Both of these bridges are around 80 years old, built in the 1950's, so they’ve reached the point where they are beyond their useful life," Christopher Reeve, regional director at NYSDOT, said to WHAM 13.
Reeve explained that continued maintenance is no longer a practical solution. To manage traffic flow, NYSDOT is implementing a zipper merge.
In Grove City, Ohio, a construction project will result in the long-term closure of the Gantz Road Bridge.
According to officials from the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT), the bridge over Interstate 270 will be closed for 120 days starting today.
The closure will allow for extensive rehabilitation. The project includes replacing and repairing guardrails, widening the bridge to accommodate a shared-use path and replacing the bridge deck, according to a report from WBNS 10.
During the closure, a designated detour will direct drivers along Home Road, U.S. Route 62, Frank Road and back to Gantz Road.
Additionally, ODOT plans to conduct rehabilitation work on the McComb Road and Trabue Road bridges over I-270.
Sources: USDOT, Rhode Island Current, WHAM 13, WBNS 10.